About this Show

Your World With Neil Cavuto

News/Business. Money tips from Wall Street. New. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Pennsylvania 10, Michigan 9, Us 8, Cyprus 7, Jay Leno 6, U.s. 6, Boston 5, New York 5, California 4, Nbc 3, Lifelock 3, Neil 3, Seattle 3, France 3, Gethelp 2, Ford 2, Geico 2, Europe 2, Bruce 2, Subaru 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Your World With Neil Cavuto    News/Business. Money tips  
   from Wall Street. New. (CC)  

    March 25, 2013
    1:00 - 2:00pm PDT  

1:00pm
identity theft was until i lost my credit and eventually i lost my home. >> announcer: credit monitoring is not enough, because it tells you after the fact, sometimes as much as 30 days later. with lifelock, as soon as our network spots a threat to your identity, you'll get a proactive risk alert, protecting you before you become a victim. >> identity theft was a huge, huge problem for me and it's gone away because of lifelock. >> announcer: while no one can stop all identity theft, if criminals do steal your information, lifelock will help fix it, with our $1 million service guarantee. don't wait until you become the next victim. you have so much to protect and nothing to lose when you call lifelock now to get two full months of identity theft protection risk free. that's right, 60 days risk-free. use promo code: gethelp. if you're not completely satisfied, notify lifelock and you won't pay a cent. order now and also get this shredder to keep your documents out of the wrong hands-- a $29 dollar value, free.
1:01pm
get protected now. call the number on your screen or go to lifelock.com to try lifelock protection risk free for a full 60 days. use promo code: gethelp. plus get this document shredder free-- but only if you act right now. call the number on your screen now! >> shepard: will amanda knox have to have a new trial on charges she killed her roommate in a drug-fueled sex game in italy? now we'll know sooner than we thought. we had been given guidance would know 2:00 pacific time. they moved it up an hour so expecting to know in the next few minutes. the cavuto folks will fill you in. we have been watching the dow for the afternoon, and you can see it started up on the news from cyprus they work out a deal, and then just sort of went
1:02pm
down all day. we were down in high 90s just a few minutes ago, and for some reason it's rebounded. i don't know why. don't look a gift horse in the mouth. ring, bell! [bell ringing] >> shepard: that's it for "studio b." "your world" with neil cavuto follows this program and will right now. >> neil: well, ignore the calendar. look out the window. a late winter blast putting spring on hold. and recovery may be on ice. welcome. i'm neil cavuto. forget sprint. more like a winter wipeout. slamming the midwest. a record 17-inches of new snow hitting central illinois. 15-inches in parts of colorado and kansas. more than a foot in st. louis as the storm makes its way east, dumping, you guessed it, more
1:03pm
snow. a lot of fender benders, and orlando, florida, wind dusts up to 86 miles-per-hour. some winds whipping through the store, sending customers running for cover. the rough weather creating a travel nightmare with more than a thousand flights cancelled. we're all over it today. bruce is in the thick of it. we're seeing snowfall records, taking, and larryeating bails glazer from the economy summit. and bruce is in pennsylvania where the snow has begun. reporter: well, neil, that heavy snow from this morning has turn into light snow this afternoon and now more of a freezing rain. literally minutes ago the sun made an appears and that is
1:04pm
rare. no blizzard here but another significant snowfall. two or throw inches around most of the region, now a slushy mess. it began this morning. we expect it will not wrap up until late tonight. this is actually the 11th day in the month of march with some kind of trace amount of snow or more. none of them any big deal but all of them irritating. last month, one day with a trace of snow. temperatures much colder this march. the average high 15 degrees colder this march than last march, and just two days in the entire month of march that the national weather service would regard as clear, day where the sun was actually out. a fair number of fender benders this morning, but overall more of a slushy mess than a real danger. the temperatures are expected to get down near freezing, so as the slush gets harder and slicker, key see trouble. the good news for this region, this next several days we're
1:05pm
expecting high temperatures in the high 40s, maybe low 50s, and that should turn this area into something resembling spring. we'll see, neil. >> neil: thank you very much. to the fox weather center on this year's snow. now shattering records. >> especially this snowfall we saw, this round, neil in st. louis. they had the highest snow total for a single day in the month of march. over a foot. look at these seasonal averages. so bridgeport on average, 20 inches. through february -- we don't have march total -- over 20 inches above average. same with green bay, and concord, new hampshire, pittsburgh, just over ten inches, as well as kansas city, and this seems to be the trend, a lot of big cities across the u.s. now, let's track this storm. this is the same storm that brought close to two feet of snow over colorado and the severe weather we saw over orlando yesterday. still spinning over the ohio
1:06pm
river valley. this the parent storm, and then we have a coastal low bringing the mess all up and down the i-95 corridor. so we're seeing the scatters snow showers around louisville, up towards indianapolis. this is not heavy snow. just more of a nuisance. we're so done with this, aren't we? across the i-95 corridor, d.c., new york, a slushy mess. looking at the forecast satellite through time, still around 6:00 p.m., it's not going to be fun traveling unfortunately, but overnight, this low pressure will move eastward, thankfully, and boston, boston -- you're getting a relatively easy this time around. hardly any snow. hardly any rain, and they deserve it. they really got walloped this winter. back to you. >> neil: they always get off easy on these things. amazing. the colder it gets, the more
1:07pm
you pay. folks heating with natural gas seeing winter bills jump 15% on average over last winter. that's a big jump many were not expecting. what do you think happens now? reporter: this wind that's out here right now, you might as well pour dollars in the air. that's money blowing away right now. i'll tell you this, we have already seen natural gas prices, because of the storm, hit the highest level since 2011, and that's inspite of the record production on the fracking side of the elements. and let me tell you. hedge fund are not done with this. spring will be here soon. they upped the export of natural gas, and $4 seemed to action as resistance but if we don't see some spring soon, we get above $4, that means these prices could really strike dramatically, maybe as high as
1:08pm
4.50 or higher. so hang on to your wallet because right now, unless it warms up, it's going to cost us a lot of money. >> neil: hang in there, my friends don't let anybody blow you away in the meanwhile, if it's controlledel cold outside, folks generally say, they stay inside, companiesy, but -- cozy, and retailers, not so rosy and not could good for the economy. >> when public safety officials tell to us stay off the roads because it's dangerous and not safe to travel, that's not good news for local businesses. we know the consumer -- it's still two-thirds of the u.s. economy, like it or not. but also a loss of productivity for businesses. when schools are closed, parents can't go to work, and it may be a day off but it's no vacation for the parents, and that's a lot of productivity in the work place. this most recent storm happens
1:09pm
at quarter end. and some of those days are lost. >> also, municipalities are going to be affected. we know that state and local government have absolutely been desmated by rising healthcare costs, rising pension benefits they're paying out to retirees. this is the last strom they're paying what is left for snow removal, and they may have to ask for more money. the only silver lininges it forces families to stay home. have that dinner table conversation they might rather not have. they're all stuck in a dark room and can't use electronics. so there's so positives. >> neil: there is that. i'm wondering, this whole first quarter of the year has been buffetted by one storm after another and i'm wondering how it's going to affect the overall economy in terms of gdp and big
1:10pm
data we get. will it be slower or is the boom you generally get after something like this make up for it? >> well, again, we still have the head wind from the rise in the payroll tax, which is absolutely affecting consumers. also, gdp will be faked. corporate earnings will be affected be the rising dollar and slow european recovery, if there is a recovery. and when we look at the storms, many in the northeast have fallen othe weekends, the time that consumers spend most money. and rising gas prices, high energy prices and that saps of what is left in the consumers' pocket. the rosy part is good for florida real estate because you have people leaving high tax states, wanting to move south and run from the cold weather. >> neil: all right. thank you very, very much larry glazer. in boston, one of the few times in the storms we have seen, boston is not going to be that
1:11pm
adversely impacted. now we know your bank account ain't safe. they're still going after it in cyprus. but since they're only going after rich bank accounts. no wore for us, says who? get ready because we have somebody who is predicting chaos, and is banking on it, literally.
1:12pm
1:13pm
1:14pm
>> neil: this just in. tomorrow we will know whether cyprus residents who can finally get their hands on their cash, create a panic and drain a lot of the cash, because for the first time in more than a week, all but two banks in cyprus will re-open. but to make doubly sure folks don't create a panic, the government is capping just how much they can withdraw, and that's a measure that should largely leave most bankholders happy. the latest cyprus rescue package calls for hitting those with
1:15pm
only 1 -- $130,000 in their bank. our money guy, charlie, has the former reagan money guy, art, here as well. charlie, play out tomorrow and how you think it's going to go. >> everybody is growing to try to get their money out and everyone will, except the drug dealers -- >> neil: you can't empty your account. >> but you'll get as much as you want. you know -- i remember -- it's not totally analogy goes but close -- covering the financial crisis in 2008 when people thought citigroup was going under. there will massive withdrawals. our government had to come in with a second sort of layer of capital and re-expensing their toxic assets. so this will be a classic bank run tomorrow and shouldn't be surprised because that country's banking system is collapsing.
1:16pm
>> neil: of if you look at what is going on, art, the idea is to contain it by going after the wealthy, but since we have this unprecedented seize of bank assets, many of medium and lower income folks will say, i'm not going to take me chances and take my money. >> of course they will. being on the caboose, and the train is going over with the rich ones first, but the caboose well go, too. no one is going to ever deposit there again, either, neil. who wants to deposit in a bank you can't get your money out of? it's crazy. and cyprus doesn't have the gravitas, the soldity of a country that can overcome something like this. i think charlie is completely correct. >> i defer to the economists. what can they do? it's a desperate, desperate situation over there.
1:17pm
>> neil: you think it's desperate situation that could be repeated elsewhere? people in europe say, gee, don't know how safe my money is? >> yes. europe is in a desperate situation. italy is desperate. it's not there yet. maybe two years ago, unless they start reigning in the side of size of government. >> it happened in the u.s., too. >> we're only benefiting -- you know this, art. we're only benefiting because we're all essentially copying the same massive government programs, projects they slow economic growth. therefore you can't pay for that stuff, and it's a vicious circle. >> neil: what you're saying is, we might stink but presumably the world stitchings -- stinks more. >> and that allows us to borrow, but it will catch up to us. our growth -- president obama fails to realize, his policies prevent our growth for paying for the stuff he wants to pay
1:18pm
for. it's a vicious circle. >> neil: art, a lot of people say this is unprecedented, seizing people's assets. in this country we have the president with his medicare century tax, medical device century tax, on the healthcare law, so it's not as if we're immune. the bank thing is being waged in cyprus but it's not unprecedented. >> it's happened here before, neil. i you go back to the bank holiday act of 1933, they confiscated all the gold and sell very from private holders and then devalued the dollar. they just stole it. can that can happen here. >> neil: what would trigger something like that? >> you know, what happens there is a financial collapse elm if we keep running trillion dollar deficits, no growth, which is true, and we keep having these states with higher taxes and
1:19pm
destroying output, it could happen here. it terrifies me. >> what would trigger it would be sharply higher interest rates when people -- in order to buy our debt. not talking about just a few points here but dramatically higher interest rates where it's impossible for us to pay our entire debt load. then becomes a point where we reach financial collapse. >> neil: when people don't trust their financial institution. but when it's your bank bank, your passbook savings account, that is called into question, that galvanizes. then what? >> here's the thing, neil. that almost happened in the past and i think hank paulsen and bernanke and the leadership -- recappallizing the banks was the way to go. in these countries, the banking system is the government. they're so intertwined. we're not there but we're getting there. and remember, once the
1:20pm
government -- once they're questions about the sovereign -- sanctity of the dollar, everything falls because our banking system is aligned with our -- with the federal government. >> california, jerry brown's tax increases there, which will have a huge impact on the prosperity of california, we've seen stockton now on the verge of bankruptcy, if not there. these problems -- they all will start the very tryingers charlie is talking about, and it could go here. i don't think it will for a while but it will. >> the chinese have to have place to put their money. they'd rather put their money in a u.s. treasury bond. but something is going to change. there's going to be a point where maybe the germans' currency is the place to go. our deficits are so high. >> neil: you're assuming the euro goes away. >> who knows by the way.
1:21pm
i it only takes one, when the south seceded from the north -- >> neil: get out of this club. no one gets higher ratings from young viewers or makes us a much buck -- i'm talking how it is that jay leno's boss wants him out. a lesson on corporate snakes that is all too well known. >> you know the hollen general of st. patrick, right? drove all the snakes out of ireland and then they came into the united states and became nbc executives. it's a fascinating story. we went out and asked people a simple question:
1:22pm
how old is the oldest person you've known? we gave people a sticker and had them show us. we learned a lot of us have known someone who's lived well into their 90s. and that's a great thing. but even though we're living longer, one thing that hasn't changed: the official retirement age. ♪ the question is how do you make sure you have the money you need
1:23pm
to enjoy all of these years. ♪ the longest 4g lte battery in a razr thin profile. with 32 hours of battery life that turns an all-nighter, into a two-nighter. the droid razr maxx hd by motorola. droid-endurance. droid-powerful. [ laughs ] whoo. ♪ oh. nice! great! [ laughs ] a shot like that calls for a postgame celebration. [ male announcer ] share what you love with who you love. kellogg's frosted flakes. they're gr-r-eat!
1:24pm
>> doctors in canada were shocked after pulling a three
1:25pm
nitch knife glad from the back of a 32-year-old man. the notify had been in the for the years. he must have work at nbc, too. >> neil: say it ain't sew. jay leno, the most successful juggernaut in late night tv ever could be kicked to the curb again. not because he isn't doing bell but because his bosses at nbc feel they could can do better. didn't they feel the same about that guy? and now they're feeling the same about this guy? the former laugh-in creator, george platter, be very careful, guys. george, what do you make of all this? >> i think it's shocking. i can't believe that nbc, who is number four, would take the number one show off the air in hope to make it number two. at it shocking. i don't think you call them snakes. you ought to call them idiots.
1:26pm
>> neil: the argument it about the young demo, cut i looked at the numbers-he does well there. the argument they can do better with jimmy fallon or -- what is driving this? >> well, leno has long been the major profit center for the network for 20 years. so, at it all about money. i don't care whether you want a teenager or old guy. it's all about money and viewers. jay leno has owned that time period ever since johnny left. so getting rid of him, doesn't make sense. but a lot of things they do don't make sense. jay leno is a nice man. he has been loyal to nbc for 20 years. he does every weekend -- either doing a charity thing or benefit. jay and i do a thing every year for 20 years. the woman, barbara davis, built a hospital. jay leno put something back into the community and deserves to be treater bert. they moved him.
1:27pm
they cancelled him. put him on lay night, early evening, tried everything they could, and -- except beating him to death with a stick and he keeps coming back. he is a lovely man. >> neil: what do you think will happen? >> i thinkry'll change they're mind. jimmy fallon is a very talented young man. he is really just -- it's a pretty fast track when you're opposite jay, and letterman, and now they're going to move the show to new york, which i'm not too sure is a good idea because of the availability of guests, and jimmy is a nice man and may one day make it, about he just doesn't have jay's appeal. jay's magic. nell. >> neil: george, let's say cooler heads prevail and realize, this is stupid, let not screw around with the franchise. you can only do that to a guy a couple of times before the guy says, this is not a place i want to work. right?
1:28pm
>> no. they've done it to him repeatedly. moved his time period. they put in conan, and then this one, and then they just cut the budget. they keep doing it. jay leno loves his job. does it better than anybody other than maybe johnny carson, and now -- see, they haven't even cancelled -- his contract runs for another year. to me this is all couldn't of like a trial balloon. ol know? and they shouldn't be sucking on that balloon. jay has delivered for the network for a long time, and he is funny. the conservatives think he is too liberal. the liberals think he is tie conservative and he is right in the middle and doing comedy. it's tough to do conservative comedy. >> neil: four mints in and you had your hit. >> i didn't say anything. i didn't say the only conservative comics or hannity and -- >> neil: that's fine. enough -- >> i didn't say it, neil.
1:29pm
>> neil: you were the guy, the force behind one of the most off van guard shows in cbs hoyt when laugh-indebutted, and i'm sure you dealt with management types who winced at what they were seeing. >> the third week on the air we were canceled in seattle, and nbc said, look what you have done. i said i just put a crew on a plane to go to seattle to congratulate them on having the good taste to cancel us, and the statement -- when the station in seattle heard this they put us back on the air before i got on the plane. it's all done with a sense of humor, and those jobs, the heads of the network, don't last that long so they're always nervous. they were very nervous, every week we had censor notes and political notes and you just kind of shine them on and smile and go do what jay is doing. jay is getting better and better. there's not enough news to go
1:30pm
around so this is a big, big story, and it's -- i think it's the best thing ever happened to jay. he is having a good time. >> neil: he does seem to be having a good time. >> say hello to the little woman. >> neil: i will. and sean hannity hopes you go to hell. >> i'll meet o'reilly there. he's catholic so he may not get in. >> neil: that's fine. okay. let's finish this, that was george platter making his final appearance here at fox. i want you to forget about immigration reform. are illegals already gutting our system? because they know no one is going to tell them to go, and the latest news they got that proves they are here to stay. fidelity is there for your personal economy,
1:31pm
helping you readjust your retirement plan along the way. rethink how you're invested. and refocus as your career moves forward. wherever you are today, a fidelity ira has a wide range of investment choices to help you fine-tune your personal economy. call today and we'll make it easy to move that old 401(k) to a fidelity no-fee ira. if youthen this willbrids arbe a nice surprise.
1:32pm
meet the 5-passenger ford c-max hybrid. c-max come. c-max go. c-max give a ride to everyone it knows. c max has more passenger volume than competitor prius v and we haven't even mentioned... c-max also gets better mpg. say hi to the super fuel efficient ford c-max hybrid.
1:33pm
1:34pm
>> neil: as you know we're now officially three years into the healthcare law, and while they had a lot of the goodies and presents in the first couple of years, now paying for it is coming up, especially over the last year, the medicare sur charge, and medical devices taxes, so the unpleasant underbelly of all of this. who knows that better than pennsylvania's republican governor on how big a deal this gets to be not only for his state but for his -- governor
1:35pm
colleagues across the country. governor, good to have you back. what -- >> thank you, neil. >> neil: a lot of this is on you, implementing exchanges and a growing role of the federal government in medicaid. the argument is that even though paul ryan wants to have the thing done and killed off, it's like the train has left the station. too late for that. do you agree? >> the train has left the station, at least for a while. i don't know whether it's going to get derailed or not. but in the meantime governors across the country, including myself here in pennsylvania what he was to teal with what is coming forward. what i know is that really one size does not fit all the states. each state is so different than the other states, that we need to see real reform for the state of pennsylvania. might be completely different than what they need in the state of ohio or the state of virginia. i recall a statement by president obama in 2009 to
1:36pm
democrats that it made no sense to put more money in medicaid without first having reform. that's one of the statements i agree with him on, but that seems to be exactly what we're doing. the other point i always like to make is, this -- people forget, this is taxpayer dollars, which it's taxpayer dollars from the federal government or taxpayer dollars from the state government. it's the same taxpayers across the country. >> neil: to your point, whatever you get, be careful what you wish to. i don't want to get into the details of the plan to cover illegals with health care, but gets to the bigger point of added spending. the architects of the plan were saying, alet more problems than we envisioned. i'm paraphrasing but you get the gist. the taxes, fees, add ons, drop in parttime workers who lost their health insurance and other workers who lost their job because of companies taking on the held insurance is more than
1:37pm
the strongest opponents imagined. >> that's exactly right. if you recall, speaker pelosi said we have to pass the bill to find out what's in it. now we're seeing the downside of that kind of thought process and not taking a very careful look at the thousands of thousands of pains to -- pages to see whereman is going to be spent. what it's costing business across the country and it's costing the taxpayers. >> neil: i know you're going to be meeting with kathleen sebelius, you're going to fine a middle ground for the changes where you have some flexibility and the growing roll of the federal government with medicaid. but what are you going to do? as far as the -- the law is here. is it just about a kinder and nicer way of accepting how much pennsylvania has to take on or what? >> we had a number of questions and in recent months or so, hhs has been answering our questions
1:38pm
but they raise other questions and other concerns. so we're going to discuss some of the reforms we're exploring for pennsylvania's programs. and to see how that will work in according to hhs, whether they're going to accept what we want to do. what i know right now is that expansion is not sustainable for pennsylvania without the reforms. we're looking at adding 800,000 new children and adults into a program, and the cost under the aca would accumulate to over $4.1 billion over this next eight years. what i want to do is to be able to provide to pennsylvanians affordable, quality, health care. but there's key words, affordable and quality. we currently spend more in our budget than every other state for medicaid, except missouri. 27% for the general fun budget of pennsylvania goes to medicaid. our average enrollee receives $7,400, almost 3,000 more than in the other states. so i need to look at a
1:39pm
pennsylvania. solution to increase access to quality care, and again not that one size fits all. we're making our own analysis of the situation in pennsylvania, and every hear from secretary sebelius, ask her more questions, we'll make our open decision, but right now, what i've told the general assembly, i can't recommend expansion at this time. >> neil: governor, thank you very much. >> thank you for having me. >> neil: spring break? give me a break. snow coming down, a nightmare for travelers and the french protests and they're called quaint. americans protest and it they're called kooks. monica on the media's double standards. license and registration please. what's this? uhh, it's my geico insurance id card, sir. it's digital, uh, pretty cool right?
1:40pm
maybe. you know why i pulled you over today? because i'm a pig driving a convertible? tail light's out.. fix it. digital insurance id cards. just a click away with the geico mobile app. dad: you excited for youyeah.st day? ♪ dad: you'll be fine, ok? girl: ok.
1:41pm
dad: you look so pretty. ♪ i'm overprotective. that's why i got a subaru. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru. picasso painted one of his master works at 56. doris taerbaum finished her first marathon at 50. not everyone peaks in their twenties. throughout their lives. passion keeps them realizing possibiliti. an ally for real possibilities. aarp. find tools and support at aarp.org/possibilities.
1:42pm
..
1:43pm
>> here we snow again. more than a thousand flights cancelled since sunday. airports in new york and washington and philadelphia among the hardest hit. dan baker at flight aware, they track this stump what's -- this stuff. how bad is it. >> it's pretty bad. a monday morning, and the last thing the airlines want is problems from a storm in the northeast. the good news is, however, this isn't the kind of storm that's causing thousands of flight cancellations. it's only been a thousand since the weekend. the bad news is it's flight delays. the deplays affect d.c., philly, new york, boston all day. so basically every flight out of the new york area and other parts of the northeast have been delayed 60 to 90 minutes, sometimes two hours, all day today and isn't going to get better until the morning. >> neil: when mother nature takes over, how are you
1:44pm
protected? >> the airline is going to do their best effort to get you where you're going and get you there on time in generalization in this sort of storm, most flights are operating and you can get there, just a couple hours late. at the problem becomes when you're connecting in new york and going onward and you miss your connecting flight. the problem is the airlines don't have a lot of flexibility. so they'll do their best to get you on the next flight. a lot of other travelers have been tranned. if it's the weekend and may already be on the list, and anytime you can say this is a multihour delay, a flight cancellation, not going get me where i need to go, and get a refund. that doesn't do a whole lot if you need to get where you want to go. >> neil: thank you, daniel. on the good side, summer is only a few months away. >> that's right. >> neil: a political storm in france, this one over gay marriage. french lawmakers get to pass a bill allowing it can the french
1:45pm
in a fit over it. don't expect the main stream media to cover it. they're ignoring. the coverage i've seen is to the quaint few who are gathering but if we look at the protests, step back, it's a huge crowd. >> tens of thousands and not just limited to the outskirts but in -- >> neil: all in paris. a rally against this thing. so, to call them all quaint or unusual or the views of the minority. i don't know. >> either the media is not covering these huge protests or they're covering it like you say in a very warped way. wire not talking about a handful of, say, fanatical, religious devoteeys of gay marriage, and this is all over french and the french are known as sophisticated, enlightened, morally evolved.
1:46pm
>> neil: anything goes. >> libertyine on matters like this, and we sue now a big and growing backlash to gay marriage in a country where you think it would be accepted with no kinds of protests. >> neil: it's interesting because depending on the poll over there, 51% of french voters approve of gay marriage. yet when i comes to gay couples adopting, it's tighter still. it's not a majority against that. so, obviously they're wrestling with these issues there as we do here, but the difference being, i think the media coverage of it there versus here. >> the media coverage, from what we have seen here -- like i said, either limited or it's been corrupted in some way where they're trying to make the protesters look small, trying to minimize their complaints about gay marriage in france. but the other thing that is interesting, too, is that the media --s' spokesman people on
1:47pm
the left trying to drive the conversation about gay marriage, whether here or there -- not everybody but you see some pretty loud voices suggest if you oppose gay marriage on whatever basis, whether it's religious or cultural or political, that somehow you're big -- bigots. but in france is a country of bigots because there are so many french people protesting and they don't care if they're being pained as bigots. they say we're going to stand up for what we believe. >> neil: this government, high taxes and everything else, but apart on this issue. >> nice to see you. >> neil: announced affirmative action ban getting supreme attention. will it past this test?
1:48pm
1:49pm
1:50pm
1:51pm
>> neil: your sheep skin based on the color of your skin? not in michigan where they banned affirmative action, arguing no one should get previous rep shall treatment no matter their race or gender. now the law is being put to the supreme test. the higher court agreeing to take it up. legal eagles are here to try this. what do you think? >> i think the michigan law should definitely be struck down. i think it violates equal protection of the u.s. constitution. the people court is going to hear this, and it's to deal with this question, whether or not you can put a ballot initiative that bans affirmative action, bans racial or jennifer preference gender preference and allow it to practices and nullify supreme court law that
1:52pm
is out there. or policies that a university makes to deal with groups that have been historically discriminated against to make sure they're given opportunities to fully participate and take advantage of higher education opportunities and that's what the issue is here. this is distinct from fisher vs. the university of texas. >> neil: the argument could be in michigan they said we addressed this grieve vances in inequalities and it's not an issue anymore. >> that's exactly right sandra day o'connor, the last case that was herd, she said in 25 years this may not be necessary, but in the states that have passed these laws, michigan being one of eight -- have decided it's not necessary anymore. the laws giving previous rep shall treatment based on race, ethnicity is not necessary. >> is that the state usurping the federal government?
1:53pm
>> that's the argue. >> in california the appeals court has upheld this, which is another reason why the supreme court is going to hear it. you have two pel las courts with different decisions. >> you look at the history. seems as if this is -- was an inorganic movement. you had one of the architects, a big supporter of the california proposition that heather is referring to, who came on out and started supporting this, mobilized people in the state of michigan, along with jennifer, who wasn't happy with the u.s. supreme court, also a part of this. so it seems somewhat inauthentic, passed with not the majority you thought it would pass with. so it's questionable. >> 58%. you have to imagine would include some racial minorities, some women and people -- feel neil get back to the argument here. we have now elevated to the point where this isn't an issue. we live in a country that has elected twice an
1:54pm
african-american president, and so we don't think this is germane anymore. >> you health hit is right on the head and that's what justice o'connor said. >> the issue here is this law basically violated the equal protection clause bought it tried to usurp authority that the public universities had in creating policy. >> neil: which is part of the argument, also in white candidates were passed over because of this. so they were slighted and -- >> that was not in the decision in this case. the decision dealt with -- >> neil: what about that argument? >> that's not the argument the court, the sick independent circuit court of appeals looked a. >> when it came to the voting, there was argument that isn't it going to be affirmative action in reverse? now whites overlooked for the same education positions or slots in a class. >> again, that is debatable, the issue here is that the university of michigan, michigan
1:55pm
state university, wayne state university, public institutions, that are regulated by state laws, look at the state of michigan, their constitution, it tells -- >> neil: they're saying education is blind. we don't know race, creed, color. >> what's interesting is they're saying that basically this is putting this on the ballot said that, okay university of michigan, state public universities in michigan, you can't make decisions regarding this because now we have this ballot measure, and -- >> neil: explain that. >> it's a constitutional amendment. an amendment to the constitution that the public has a right to vote upon, and they did. 58% of the public voted to pass this constitutional amendment. >> when you have less than 30% of the population who is minority -- >> neil: just on that level alone, whether you go with the deciding it's going to be accepted into your schools, and you don't know their race or creed, nothing, what's wrong with that? >> nothing.
1:56pm
>> that's not what this issue is about. >> neil: my question is, what's wrong with that? >> the issue is this is a much more complex analysis that has to be done. there are still groups historically discriminated against that do not -- >> neil: and the federal protects that versus this. we shall see. in the meantime, pope francis, john kerry, barack obama. i'm watched each very closely over the last 24 hours and i'm going to link them all together as we close this hour. my moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. i decided enough is enough. ♪ [ spa lady ] i started enbrel. it's clinically proven to provide clearer skin. [ rv guy ] enbrel may not work for everyone -- and may not clear you completely, but for many, it gets skin clearer fast, within 2 months, and keeps it clearer through 6 months. [ male announcer ] enbrel may lower your ability to fight infections. serious, sometimes fatal events, including infections,
1:57pm
tuberculosis, lymphoma, other cancers, nervous system and blood disorders, and allergic reactions have occurred. before starting enbrel, your doctor should test you for tuberculosis and discuss whether you've been to a region where certain fungal infections are common. you should not start enbrel if you have an infection like the flu. tell your doctor if you're prone to infections, have cuts or sores, have had hepatitis b, have been treated for heart failure, or if you have symptoms such as persistent fever, bruising, bleeding, or paleness. if you've had enough, ask your dermatologist about enbrel. .
1:58pm
1:59pm
>> neil: finally, i want you to look at something and tell me whether the look of this says something. the new pope has his own papal pew to pray with the old pope in the same pew. from his balcony addressing crowds below.